Tomáš Maretta is a partner in Čechová & Partners. He is an expert in the area of competition and antitrust law. During his seventeen-year practice in the firm he has been involved in a number of transactions and was instrumental mainly in antitrust and merger control advice.
Tomáš successfully assisted to a number of international and domestic undertakings being active mainly in pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive and manufacturing industries, engineering, banking and private equity sectors in connection with local merger clearances. Tomáš has been also providing diverse advice with respect to cartel agreements, bid rigging in public procurement, vertical practices, dominance issues and abusive practices and has been representing clients in cartel proceedings at the AMO. He also advised clients on the various aspects of claims for damages under Slovak law. In 2004, (as an external counsel in cooperation with Ashurst) Tomáš drafted the Slovak chapter for the Study on damages for the breach of national and EC competition law for the European Commission.
During his practice, Tomáš also gained significant experience in the area of corporate, M&A and commercial law.
Tomáš graduated from the Law Faculty of Comenius University in Bratislava and gained M.A. in 1999. He is Slovak national, fluent in English.
Joined the Law Firm in 1999
Areas of Practice
Competition Law and Merger Control
Mergers and Acquisitions
- Tomáš assisted in clearances of various local acquisitions on the Slovak market and in a number of worldwide transactions of multinational companies active in various sectors, including pharmaceutical, chemical, automotive, construction, manufacturing industries, engineering, banking, private equity and entertainment sectors. In particular, he assisted, among others, to an Italian investor in the merger clearance of the acquisition of majority stake in the largest Slovak commercial bank, to an Austrian company in the merger clearance of the acquisition of shares in major Slovak paper producer, to a major German group active mainly in pharmaceutical and chemical businesses in the merger clearance of its acquisition of a crop protection business, to a Swedish multinational construction group in its several acquisitions of major local construction and technological companies as well as to an international consortium in the merger clearance of its acquisition of a majority stake in a company operating Košice airport, merger clearance of the acquisition of local Slovak national provider of services of terrestrial and satellite TV and radio broadcasting by an Australian a wholesale investment fund (being a part of global financial services specialist).
- Tomáš also provided diverse advice with respect to cartel agreements and other anticompetitive practices and has been representing clients in cartel proceedings at the AMO. He assisted, among others, to an international Swedish construction company and its Czech subsidiary with respect to a cartel investigation and proceedings held by the Slovak NCA and before the court in relation the review of cartel decision of NCA, to a multinational energy and transmission company based in France in relation to its defence against antitrust accusation by NCA; at present, Tomas is assisting to a Slovak subsidiary of a meal and other benefit voucher issuer in the investigation by the Slovak NCA into an alleged infringement on the Slovak meal and other benefit vouchers market.
- Tomáš has regularly assisted in the preparation and revisions of various vertical and horizontal agreements with respect to competition law, including, among others, joint venture agreements between major manufacturers of motor vehicles, selective distribution agreements between high brand footwear and international sport equipment supplier and its distributors, revision of selective distribution system and agreements between a global car manufacturer and Slovak authorised dealers and repairers.
- Tomáš also provides assistance in competition compliance trainings and audits as well as in investigations and dawn raids conducted by antimonopoly bodies.
For several years, Tomáš has been recognised by Global Competition Review as one of leading practitioners in the area of competition and antitrust law in Slovakia.
In Chambers Europe 2018, Tomáš earned top honors in Competition/Antitrust and was recommended for Corporate/M&A. One of the interviewed clients described him as "one of the top merger clearance lawyers in the market."
In Legal 500 2018 Tomáš was recommended in the area of Commercial, Corporate and M&A.
In Chambers Europe 2016, Tomáš was recognized as a Band 1 antitrust and competition law attorney for Slovakia. According to sources, he is "absolutely top in competition law - the best in Slovakia."
In Legal 500 2016 Tomáš was recognised in the area of Commercial, Corporate and M&A.
- Slovakia’s New Act on the Protection of Economic Competition. In: BNA’s Eastern European Reporter, July 2001, p. 18
- Changes to Slovak Competition Law, ABA Antitrust Bulletin, 2004
- Slovak chapter in Practical Guide to National Competition Rules Across Europe (Kluwer 2007)
- Slovak chapter in International Comparative Legal Guide to: Merger Control (2005, 2006), Class Actions (2009) and Competition Litigation (2009)
- Slovak chapter in Global Competition Review – The European Antitrust Review (2014, 2015, 2016)
- Regular articles in European Competition Journal.
Slovak Bar Association
Law Faculty of Comenius University in Bratislava (1999)